Thursday, September 11, 2008

Never Forget

Today being 9-11 I thought I would write about some of the things I am not going to forget anytime soon.

The first, of course September 11, 2001. I remember exactly were I was when the day, so bright and clear, literally exploded! I remember feeling like I was punched in the stomach and rushing to my the sides of my friends who had husbands caught in the city, (thankfully no one in the towers)! I remember the terror they faced for the next few hours until they could speak to them, and know that they were alright. I also remember the unsure feelings I had about sending my kindergartner to school that day, and how she cried, and how I cried and never wanted to let her go. . . and how my other children rushed home after school wanting to know it all, to have me tell them the things they missed, not even really sure myself of the whole story . Yes, I remember. . . I remember the kindness that we showed each other. The flags on every car, and hanging in store fronts and homes. I remember the children saying the Pledge of Allegiance a little louder and parents at the football games singing the Star Spangled Banner a little prouder. I remember a country, a proud country, sad but oh so proud!!



In January of the same year, just a few short months before this tragedy. I lost my sweet mother to a car accident. The driver of the other car had been high on drugs when he crossed the center line. I remember the night I got the call, I remember the horror and not being able to sleep that night. I remember my children rushing to my room because of my screams. Yes, I remember. . .I remember having friends that I could call that quickly came running to my side. I remember a dear sister in the ward who gave me the coveted foot rub (she was a reflexologist and everyone wanted Rita to rub their feet). I remember arriving in my hometown and having so much food at my fathers home we couldn't fit it in the fridge. I remember seeing my wonderful brothers and sisters and getting some of the best hugs ever! I remember the love radiating from my mothers friends while they told us of the kind things she did. I remember my cousins coming to the house and all of us laughing at the funny mom/aunt Sandy stories. I laughed until I cried. I loved hearing these stories! I remember. . .
I choose to remember my friend Stephanie Nielson, before and after, the plane crash she was in with her husband and the pilot, a friend of theirs. The pilot died but Steph and Christian are fighting their way back. The blogging world loves them and prays everyday, every hour for them! Their families love them and help and stand by their sides in every way possible. I remember Stephanie moving into our ward and giggling with hertrying to remember how I knew her because she had such a kind and memorable face (you know the kind). I remember wondering what to fix for dinner after inviting them and finding out they liked the veggies (we like the meat) I am sure it wasn't anything as wonderful and she made. I remember her asking my youngest to babysit. . . oh Taylor was so proud! I remember the red room. . . oh, the lovely red room. I would never be brave enough to paint a room red, bright red, even the ceiling, but she was and it was beautiful. But I think I remember the goose the most, because it made me laugh. She would have her girls sneak over to the neighbors yard and she would take thier pictures with it and the many outfits the ceramic goose owned. Her original blog Gracie Brunswick (do you remember?) hailed this interesting creature. So for you Steph, so bright and beautiful, I give you the goose. I snuck by on my way to church (and I was even a bit late, but ifigured it was well worth it) and lo and behold there was the goose. I think I will name her Gracie. . .I remember! Memories can be positive and happy even in the worst of times. I have learned many things about finding the joy in an unhappy time, from others around me and deep down inside myself where I didn't even know it existed! I would just like to remembmer a few more things. . .
  • I remember the way my dads eyes crinkle and sparkle when he laughs!

  • I remember the cry of my first and oldest son.

  • I remember my daughters first date.

  • I remember my joy of my little red head. . .'she is my sunshine, my only sunshine'

  • I remember when my "baby" started kindergarten.

  • I remember my baptism (thank you uncle Jim).

  • I remember roller skating.

  • I remember my first time through the temple, and dinner after (thank you mom and dad)

  • I remember my first broken heart, I had lots of them.

  • I remember my wedding day!

  • I remember I am a daughter of God and he has sent me here!

There are many things I will forget, and many I will choose to forget, but today I CHOOSE to Remember!

6 comments:

  1. aww...that was way deep and so thoughtful!! I choose to remember how AWESOME you are!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was so beautiful! That is a great perspective on life and I am so glad that you shared it with us. I love you lots-Terra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,

    I'm here online for the children of Haiti.

    I'm doing my part for a non-profit organization that gives time to
    building oppurtunities for the kids in haiti. If anyone here wants to donate then then please do so here:

    [url=http://universallearningcentre.org]Donate to Haiti[/url] or Help Haiti

    They provide kids in Haiti a positive learning environment.

    Please check them out, they're legit.

    Anything would be appreciated

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so easy to choose high quality [url=http://www.euroreplicawatches.com/]replica watches[/url] online: [url=http://www.euroreplicawatches.com/mens-swiss-watches-rolex/]Rolex replica[/url], [url=http://www.euroreplicawatches.com/mens-swiss-watches-breitling/]Breitling replica[/url], Chanel replica or any other watch from the widest variety of models and brands.

    ReplyDelete